As Americans get ready for Super Bowl XLVIII, a match-up between the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos for the National Football League’s championship trophy, restaurants around the country are preparing, too: with various promotions and specials geared toward in-store customers and those who are planning to cater parties at home.
The National Restaurant Association estimates that more than 48 million Americans will order takeout or delivery food from a restaurant while watching the championship game, which airs at 6:30 p.m ET on Feb. 2. According to NRA research, chicken wings, pizza, and salsa, dips and spreads are the top items cited by consumers as “must-have foods” for watching the big game.
“Sporting events and great food go hand in hand, so it’s no surprise that millions of Americans will incorporate restaurants into their game-watching plans this year,” said Hudson Riehle, the NRA’s senior vice president of research.
Approximately 180 million viewers are expected to tune into the game. According to an infographic created by quickservice sandwich chain Quizno's, a large number of viewing parties are expected to feature takeout or catered food from restaurants.
“Big Game Sunday is quickly approaching and with it comes the biggest unofficial house party day of the year, filled with cheering fans, giant TV screens and lots of food,” spokeswoman Ada Johnson said.
Along with Quiznos, several other restaurants are offering Super Bowl specials, with many emphasizing catering deals. Among the companies offering specials:
• P.F. Chang’s, which is offering customers a 20-percent discount on online orders
• Pei Wei Asian Diner, which is featuring 25 percent off on takeout orders of $50 or more
• Pizza Hut is offering its hand-tossed pizza with any topping at any size for $10. The Big Dinner Box, which includes two medium pizzas, breadsticks and a choice of wings, pasta or Stuffed Pizza Rollers is $19.99
• Outback Steakhouse has a Game Day Wing Offer of 20 wings for $14.99 and also is offering a free Bloomin’ Onion to guests on Feb. 3, the day after the game
• Carrabba’s Italian Grill has a Fiesta Party Platter that serves six to eight people and features select appetizers
• Rubio’s is offering $20 off on orders of $125 or more
• Hooters will include a coupon good for either a free entrée salad or a free order of fried pickles, redeemable with any non-alcoholic beverage purchase at participating locations through Feb. 28, 2014. In addition, with any to-go order of 20 wings or more on Sunday, Feb. 2, guests will receive a coupon for a free Pepsi® 2-liter that can be redeemed at participating retailers